Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Going fresh

Well I have been sort of off track the past few weeks. But I am back up and running. Life got a bit chaotic and it seemed the kids needed everything under the sun done. We had to go to doc appts and then need referrals for vision & hearing tests. Also they both neeeded immunizations.

While we were there the doctor asked me a question...Do they eat fresh vegetables? I stopped for a second and thought to my self ...does bagged salad count as fresh? I looked at the doctor and said not as much as they should. He went on about how great they are and they should eat more and the honest truth is I could not argue with the guy. So I had a mission we are going fresh!

So today I went grocery shopping and I thought fresh. And as I wandered the produce aisles of my local supermarket I missed the warm weather and those wonderful farmer markets and side road produce vendors. There is something so pure about things grown in a town I have actually heard of. Where I dare to say I can still smell the soil on them. It won't be long before I can enjoy these wonderful places again. But for now I have to settle for the supermarket's idea of fresh vegetables shipped via plane , train and semi trucks. So after two stores I was able to gather fresh fruits and vegetables and here is what I decided to bring on to my go fresh mission...

Bagged salad...is it fresh?
Cucumbers
green red and yellow pepper
zuchuni
squash
egg plant
baby carrots
green onions
ginger snap peas
green beans
bananas
oranges
pint of strawberries.

I also bought three bags of frozen veggies that are steam bags including corn, green peas and a veggie mix. I guess they are as close as you can get to fresh without being fresh but certainly better than a can!


So okay now I have all these "fresh" veggies but now I needed to figure out what to make with them so here are my menu ideas....

Petite steaks with grilled zuchini and squash and then I will add in a starch of choice

Apple bourbon pork chops with steamed fresh green beans

Then we will have pasta night with a fresh salad ... out of a bag...topped with cucumber slices, green peppers etc etc etc

I haven't gotten to the red and yellow peppers yet. But I am contemplating adding it to my steak meal. Perhaps with a chicken dish? I guess I will have to google what to do with these things. I feel like a fish out of water. HMMMM fish now those are fresh! LOL

That is where I am so far. It will be a challenge for me as I am not use to cooking with fresh veggies. I usually use can or frozen so this will be different. The kids did however seem excited over my selections. That is one great thing about my kids they eat just about anything. If i had to think of any items they may stick their nose up at it be the eggplant and green beans. My rule is taste it before you decide you don't like it.....

Going fresh...to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment